What better way to celebrate the start of grilling season than with some healthy, grilled chicken recipes.
7 Tips for perfect grilled chicken
- Stick with boneless chicken and if at all possible cut into smaller pieces and thread onto skewers
- Pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts first.
- Add the flavor before you grill
- Prep your grill with a good cleaning and a light oiling of the grates
- Cook chicken on indirect, medium heat to keep from charring
- Keep your grill covered during cooking
- Sauce or baste often and at the very end
Grilled Honey-Lime Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
Prepare the marinade the night before for a quick grab-and-grill meal when you get home.
- Juice of 4 limes, divided
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. plus 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. honey
- kosher salt
- 1 lb. organic boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 c. chopped pineapple
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make Marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together juice of 3 limes, olive oil, 1/4 cup cilantro and honey and season with salt.
- Add chicken to a large Ziploc bag or baking dish and pour over marinade. Let marinate in the refrigerator at least 3 hours, or up to overnight.
- When ready to grill, heat grill to high. Oil grates and add chicken, then grill until charred, 8 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together pineapple, avocado, red onion, remaining lime juice, and remaining tablespoon cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon salsa over chicken and serve.
Grilled Cilantro-Lime Chicken with avocado Salsa
- 4 (6 oz) chicken boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 medium avocados (ripe but semi-firm), diced
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion, rinsed under cool water to remove harsh bite
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Place chicken on a cutting board, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and pound thicker parts of chicken to an even thickness. Transfer chicken to a gallon size resealable plastic bag.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, honey, cilantro, 3 cloves minced garlic and season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Pour marinade mixture over chicken in bag. Seal bag while pressing air out, then rub marinade over chicken. Allow to rest in refrigerator 2 – 4 hours (rotating bag to opposite side and moving chicken around halfway through if possible to ensure it’s evenly marinating).
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (to about 425 – 450 degrees). Brush grill grates lightly with oil then grill chicken until center registers 160 – 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl toss together avocado, tomato, onion, garlic and lime and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon a generous amount over chicken and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve warm.
Easy Grilled Herbed Chicken
- 1 pound organic chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise, to form two thinly-sliced breasts. or cut breasts into strips (chicken tenders).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil and seasonings. Add chicken and use a fork to turn chicken over a few times to thoroughly coat with marinade. Marinade for 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
- Grill chicken until there is no pink remaining and juices run clear.